University Housing & Residential Life (UHRL) offers Gender-Inclusive Housing (GIH) as part of Temple University’s ongoing commitment to developing a campus community that is welcoming and inclusive. GIH acknowledges the diverse needs of the student body and further develops a residence hall environment that is positive, respectful and inclusive for all residents. GIH is a strictly opt-in housing accommodation, and students must expressly state their desire for a GIH assignment.
Learn more about applying for GIH Housing by clicking on the Apply for a space in GIH Video.
Gender-Inclusive Housing (GIH) Request and Assignment Process
- GIH is optional, and students must expressly state their request for GIH in the online application by logging into MyHousing via the TUportal.
- Students will live in the same room (suite or apartment) regardless of biological sex, gender expression, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- All roommates in GIH must be at least 18 years old and eligible for university housing. Students under the age of 18 will be handled on a case-by-case basis and may require consent from a legal guardian.
- If a vacancy occurs during the year, the existing resident(s) are encouraged to find a roommate agreeable to the terms of a GIH space. UHRL will work with current occupants to identify other solutions, such as placement of a student from the GIH waitlist and/or assign a student who has confirmed placement interest in GIH.
- UHRL may re-designate the room as gender specific if no GIH student can be identified to fill the vacancy.
- Students with questions about GIH assignments may contact UHRL’s main number for assistance
GIH Contact Information: 215-204-7184 option 2 or visit us at our office on the second floor of 1910 Liacouras Walk, Suite 201, Philadelphia, PA 19122-6027.