Students with Disabilities

University Housing & Residential Life is dedicated to the inclusion of students with a disability in all activities, programs and services offered by the university. In collaboration with the Office of Disability Resources and Services (DRS), a broad range of housing options have been reserved for eligible undergraduate, professional and graduate students. Student requests for these accommodations must be supported by medical documentation that relates the current impact of a student's disability and/or condition to the request being made. Requests for disability-related housing accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis and space availability.

Housing Selection Process For Students With Disabilities

  • All students interested in living on campus are required to submit a housing deposit and complete a housing application on MyHousing (via the TUPortal)
  • During the housing application process, students can apply for specialty housing which includes housing ADA accommodations. 
  • Students must submit any supporting medical documentation to the Office of Disability Resources and Services for their review and approval. Returning students only need to re-submit paperwork in the event their condition has changed.
  • Recommendations for requests that include all required paperwork will be forwarded to the University Housing Office within three (3) weeks of receiving these documents.

Returning Students

  • Each year, students are required to reapply for University housing which includes specialty housing requests.
  • The option to request specialty housing for returning students is from Monday, December 11, 2023 through Monday, January 29, 2024.

New Students

  • The option to request specialty housing for new students is from Monday, January 29, 2024 to Wednesday, May 1, 2024. 
  • Students can follow the guidelines for medical documentation outlined below on the DRS website at: Office of Disability Resources and Services.  
  • Students must be approved by the Office of Disability Resources and Services to be eligible for housing related ADA accommodations. To confirm that you have been approved for these accommodations, contact DRS at (215) 204-1280.

Housing Accommodations

The University Housing & Residential Life staff carefully selects room layouts from their inventory to accommodate students with a broad range of disabilities. 

Accommodation Spaces Available:

  • Single and double wheelchair accessible rooms
  • ADA compliant accessible bathrooms w/grab bars
  • Roll-in showers with chair and/or bench
  • Keyless entry door systems in designated rooms
  • Rooms with kitchen facilities
  • Rooms equipped with strobe light for hearing impaired
  • Single rooms to accommodate personal care attendant services
  • Emergency call buttons in designated areas
  • Use of approved durable medical equipment
Policy on providing housing accommodations at no additional charge to qualified students

The University will make reasonable modifications to its housing policies, procedures, and practices when those modifications are necessary to provide access, unless those modifications will fundamentally alter the nature of the housing services provided by the university.

Accessible housing spaces may be assigned to a student who requires the access features in that room, or by students who do not require those access features who may choose the space for other reasons. To better manage charging appropriate rates to students with disabilities, current reservation software requires that we set the space rate which reflects the amenities of the space and then apply credits to students assigned due to an approved accommodation. The credit will result in a student paying the same as a student living in a typical double occupancy space in the same building.

As a result of the foregoing:

  1. University Housing and Residential Life's general policy is to assign a student approved for accessible housing to a space with the appropriate access features. Assignments and Billing will then apply a credit to the student's account that will reduce the net housing charge to the lowest rate for a similar shared space in the facility (with the exception of overbook lounge rates).  Example: student assigned a single apartment in 1300 that is required due to a disability. Although the initial charge will be for the single room rate, the student will be credited so that the net charge to the student will be a standard occupancy apartment rate.
  2. The general policy for single space accommodation as advised by Disability Resources and Services is to accommodate an approved disability through the closing of the accompanying bedroom space (if a traditional single is not otherwise available) and charging the student receiving an accommodation the double occupancy rate; not a single space rate or a charge for both spaces.

Charges to a student's account will initially reflect the typical room rate of the given space. Necessary credits will be applied manually as soon as practical after the housing charges originally post to ensure the student's charges reflect the typical double occupancy space rate.

Residence halls with ADA accommodations

The following residence halls contain spaces that have been designated as accommodations on reserve for students with disabilities:

  • 1300 Residence Hall
  • 1940 Residence Hall
  • James S. White Hall
  • Morgan Hall 
  • Temple Towers 
Selecting a roommate

Students requesting disability housing accommodations will have the option of adding roommates to fill their unit if space is available or if applicable due to their request.

Contacting the University's Dietician

Requests for any flexibility to the standard university meal plan due to disability or health concerns must be reviewed by the department of Disability Resources and Services on a case-by-case basis.

Students can take these steps to make their needs known.

  • Register with the Office of Disability Resources and Services
  • Submit copy of medical documentation to the Office of Disability Resources and Services

Recommendations are forwarded by the Office of Disability Resources and Services to the Office of University Housing and Residential Life.

Students seeking specific information regarding food allergens and/or dietary concerns can contact the University Dietician, Gaia Di Giacomo through e-mail at .

Personal Care Attendant Policy

As the university does not offer personal attendant services, students are encouraged to locate appropriate personal service providers independently. For more involved personal care needs, students usually make arrangements through agencies or private contacts. Students are responsible for managing their attendant’s schedule and adhering to the university’s visitation and guest policies. Scheduling admittance to the residence halls for 24-hour attendants can be coordinated through the University Housing and Residential Life and Office of Disability Resources and Services (DRS).

Service and Assistance Animal Policy

Temple University recognizes the need for students with a disability to use trained service animals and assistance animals. Students who require the use of service animals are encouraged to discuss specific needs and services with DRS professional staff and Resident Directors prior to starting classes.

A "service animal" is defined as any animal specifically trained to perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. This includes, but is not limited to, guiding persons with restricted vision, alerting those who have hearing loss to the presence of intruders, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.

An “assistance animal” is any animal that is specifically designated by a qualified medical provider as affording an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling, provided there is a link between the individual’s disability and the assistance the animal provides. Assistance animals include “emotional support” or “therapy animals.” Unlike service animals, assistance animals are not trained to perform work or tasks, and they include species other than dogs and miniature horses.

To apply for use of either a Service or Assistance Animal, students need to log into MyHousing system and in the Quick List students should apply for Housing for Students with a Disability.  In addition to this request, students will also be required to submit a Service or Assistance Animal Guideline and Agreement Form to specify what animal they need as part of their Housing with Students with a Disability request.  Once this request is approved, the Office of University Housing will follow up to review policies and procedures with regards to Service and Assistance Animals.

Student Responsibilities:
A service animal, assistance animal or pet must be personally supervised by the handler, and the handler must retain full control of the animal at all times while on university property, except for service or assistance animals left in the handler’s college residence by the handler. The animal may only be left unattended in the residence hall for reasonable periods of time, as determined by the Director of Residence Life or their designee. An assistance or service animal left for longer than a reasonable period of time may be impounded at the direction of the Director of Residential Life or their designee. A handler who leaves his or her service or assistance animal unattended for longer than a reasonable period of time will receive one warning, and if the behavior occurs a second time, the handler may be required to remove the animal from campus and prohibited from bringing the animal back onto university property.

Animals may not be tied or tethered to any university property, including but not limited to buildings, railings, bike racks, fire hydrants, fences, sign posts, benches and trees, and may not be allowed to run loose anywhere on campus. Animals must not be allowed to disrupt or interfere with college activities including, but not limited to, teaching, research, service or administrative activities. If the animal is unruly or disruptive, or if the handler fails to maintain control of the animal, the handler must regain control immediately or remove the animal from university property. If the improper behavior continues or happens more than once, the handler may be prohibited from bringing the animal onto university property, to be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Director of Campus Safety Services, or the applicable department/program chair responsible for the area, as most appropriate.

In the event an animal is prohibited from residence halls or campus, the university will engage as needed in a good faith process with the individual to determine if other accommodations will effectively allow the individual to participate in the program, service, or activity. University personnel shall not be required to provide care or food for any assistance animal, including, but not limited to, removing the animal during emergency evacuation for events such as a fire alarm. Emergency personnel will determine whether to remove the animal and may not be held responsible for the care, damage to, or loss of the animal. Additionally, assistance animals may not be left overnight in university housing to be cared for by any individual other than the owner. If the owner is to be absent from their residence hall overnight or longer, the animal must accompany the owner.  The owner will also be required to designate a third party as an emergency contact to care for the animal in the event the owner is unable to do so because of a medical, or other emergency.

All handlers are responsible for compliance with state and local laws concerning animals (including registration, vaccinations, and tags), for controlling their animals, for cleaning up any waste created by the animal, and for any damage caused by the animal to persons or property while on university property. This includes fees for clean-up and disposal of animal waste or replacement and repair of college or other individuals’ assets, including grounds, personal property and improvements, and the remediation of flea infestation. If the handler fails to clean up after the animal or the animal causes damage to property, the handler may be prohibited from bringing the animal onto university property. Handlers must sign the form entitled “Service and Assistance Animal Guidelines and Agreement” prior to residing in the residence hall with the animal. The form will be maintained by the Director of Residential Life or their designee.

Residential students who use service or assistance animals should meet with their building’s Resident Director before the start of the semester to discuss procedures for appropriate management.  The university reserves the right to request and obtain proper documentation to ensure compliance with these requirements.